2006 Census Topic-based tabulations
Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
Topic-based tabulation: Age Groups (14) and Sex (3) for the Population of Canada, Provinces, Territories, Census Divisions and Census Subdivisions, 2006 Census - 100% Data
About this tabulation
|Release date:||July 17, 2007|
|Topic:||Age and sex|
Note: Impact of municipal restructuring
The boundaries and names of municipalities (census subdivisions) can change from one census to the next because of annexations, dissolutions and incorporations. To bridge the impact of these municipal changes on data dissemination, the 2006 Census team is producing a profile for dissolved census subdivisions. For additional information, please refer to the 2006 Census Dictionary, catalogue number 92-566-XIE or 92-566-XPE.
Note: Population universe
The population universe of the 2006 Census includes the following groups:
- Canadian citizens (by birth or by naturalization) and landed immigrants with a usual place of residence in Canada;
- Canadian citizens (by birth or by naturalization) and landed immigrants who are abroad, either on a military base or attached to a diplomatic mission;
- Canadian citizens (by birth or by naturalization) and landed immigrants at sea or in port aboard merchant vessels under Canadian registry;
- persons with a usual place of residence in Canada who are claiming refugee status and members of their families living with them;
- persons with a usual place of residence in Canada who hold Study Permits and members of their families living with them;
- persons with a usual place of residence in Canada who hold Work Permits and members of their families living with them.
For census purposes, the last three groups in this list are referred to as 'non-permanent residents'. For further information, refer to the variable Immigration: Non-permanent resident found in the 2006 Census Dictionary, catalogue number 92-566-XIE or 92-566-XPE.
|Age groups (14)||Sex (3)|
|Total - Sex||Male||Female|
|Total - Age groupsFootnote 2||31,612,895||15,475,970||16,136,930|
|0 to 14 years||5,579,840||2,857,320||2,722,520|
|15 to 24 years||4,220,875||2,143,235||2,077,645|
|15 to 19 years||2,140,495||1,095,285||1,045,210|
|20 to 24 years||2,080,380||1,047,950||1,032,440|
|25 to 44 years||8,824,540||4,332,690||4,491,845|
|25 to 29 years||1,985,580||975,945||1,009,640|
|30 to 34 years||2,020,230||987,715||1,032,515|
|35 to 39 years||2,208,270||1,083,500||1,124,775|
|40 to 44 years||2,610,455||1,285,530||1,324,925|
|45 to 64 years||8,652,390||4,255,630||4,396,765|
|45 to 54 years||4,977,900||2,449,095||2,528,805|
|55 to 64 years||3,674,485||1,806,530||1,867,960|
|65 years and over||4,335,250||1,887,095||2,448,150|
Source: Statistics Canada, 2006 Census of Population, Statistics Canada Catalogue no. 97-551-XCB2006013.
Download data as displayed in the Data table tab
Download entire table
- IVT (Beyond 20/20) file Footnote c
1.23 MB (1,292,971 bytes)
- XML (SDMX - Statistical Data and Metadata eXchange) file Footnote d
1.31 MB (1,371,443 bytes)
- Footnote a
To access the comma separated values (CSV) file, use the conversion features available in most spreadsheet software, or use a free viewer, for example csview.
- Footnote b
To access the tab separated values (TAB) file, use the conversion features available in most spreadsheet software, or use a free viewer, for example AscToTab.
- Footnote c
To access the Beyond 20/20 (IVT) version, you need the Beyond 20/20 Table Browser, which may be downloaded below. These links download files directly from an external site and are not the responsibility of Statistics Canada.
Beyond 20/20 Browser for Windows operating systems (18.9 MB)
To install this product, run 'ProBrowser.exe'.
- Footnote d
XML (SDMX - ML) - Is a statistical data and metadata exchange standard for the electronic exchange of statistical information. Two extensible mark-up language (XML) files are provided in a compressed bundle.