Dictionary, Census of Population, 2016
All cash benefits received from federal, provincial, territorial or municipal governments during the reference period. It includes:
- Old Age Security pension, Guaranteed Income Supplement, Allowance or Allowance for the Survivor;
- retirement, disability and survivor benefits from Canada Pension Plan and Québec Pension Plan;
- benefits from Employment Insurance and Québec parental insurance plan;
- child benefits from federal and provincial programs;
- social assistance benefits;
- workers' compensation benefits;
- Working income tax benefit;
- Goods and services tax credit and harmonized sales tax credit;
- other income from government sources.
For the 2016 Census, the reference period is the calendar year 2015 for all income variables.
2016 (100% data); 2011Note 1 (30% sample); 2006, 2001, 1996, 1991, 1986 and 1981 (20% sample). For availability prior to 1981, refer to Appendix 2.0.
Population 15 years and over in private households
Variable derived based on administrative tax and benefit records received from the Canada Revenue Agency.
Positive dollar value or nil
See Remarks under total income.
See also income sources.
For more information, please refer to Appendix 4.1, Components of income in 2015.
For additional information about data collection method, coverage, reference period, concepts, data quality and intercensal comparability of the income data, refer to the Income Reference Guide, Census of Population, 2016.
- Date modified: