Census

Census news Feeds

2011 Census analytical highlights Feed

Population growth doubled in Yukon and Manitoba

In Yukon and Manitoba, population growth since 2006 was double the rate of the previous intercensal period (2001 to 2006), from 5.9% to 11.6% in Yukon, and from 2.6% to 5.2% in Manitoba.

Read more.

Ten of the 15 census agglomerations with the strongest population growth between 2006 and 2011 are located in Alberta

From 2006 to 2011, 10 of the 15 census agglomerations posting the highest population growth were located in Alberta. As in the period between 2001 and 2006, Okotoks (Alberta), was the census agglomeration with the largest population growth between 2006 and 2011, at 42.9%. Wood Buffalo (Alberta), which ranked second for growth between 2001 and 2006, was again in second place between 2006 and 2011, with 27.1%.

Read more.

Increasing share of children aged 14 and under living with common-law parents

Of the 5,587,165 individuals aged 14 and under in Canada who lived in private households in 2011, 99.2% were children in census families who lived with married, common-law or lone parents. The remaining 0.8% of children in this age group lived with other relatives or non-relatives. The share of children aged 14 and under who lived with married parents, while still highest, fell from 68.4% in 2001 to 63.6% in 2011.

Read more.

Visit the Analytical products section to read more analytical documents.

National Household Survey (NHS)

Featured place

Dorval, Quebec

2011 Census Profile (selected characteristics) - Dorval, Quebec
Place type Ville
Population in 2011 18,208
Population in 2006 18,088
Percent change, 2006 to 2011 +0.7
Median age 44.5
Percent aged 15 and over 86.3
Population density (sq. km) 872.2
Land area (sq. km) 20.88
Number of private households 7,990
Avg. number of persons in private households 2.2

Featured video

Video: Population and dwelling counts data, 2011 Census

Transcript and alternate formats

Visit the video centre for more census videos.